Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter or Not?

Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter or Not?

Everybody wants to know if dogs can eat Peanut Butter. If you own a dog, you know that they are likely to consume just about anything, even things that are not edible at all. Both creamy and crunchy peanut butter seem to be fan favorites for most dogs. It is also a bit funny to watch them licking their chops to eat the sticky snack off of a spoon, out of a toy or mixed in to their food.

While there is no known research as to why dogs love peanut butter so much, we do know that they love protein and fat rich foods. Peanut butter, of course is very fatty and protein rich.

Here are answers to 5 Questions Asked About Dogs Eating Peanut Butter:

  1. Can dogs have peanut butter?

Actually, yes Just remember the peanut butter CANNOT have Xylitol in it. Make a habit out of reading the label to make sure there are just a few simple ingredients like peanuts, salt, and sugar. Sugar should not be the first ingredient. Peanut butter should only be an occasional treat for your dog, no matter the age.

  1. Is peanut butter good for dogs?

Peanut butter that does not have Xylitol in it is a nice once in a while treat for your dog, but it is exactly that, a treat. Peanut butter is extremely fatty. Even though it contains the right fats, just like in humans, too much fat can lead to problems. Dogs do not do well with high fat diets. In some parts of the world, like in European, Xylitol has been banned for use in sodas because of it acts like a strong laxative.

  1. What is Xylitol?  

Simply put, Xylitol is a sugar substitute or artificial sweetener. For humans, Xylitol can be a tasty ingredient in something like peanut butter, but it can be lethal for dogs. Dog owners should also beware of any variation of the letters ‘xyl’ in peanut butter or any other food your dog consumes. Xyl means Xylitol. Other ingredients to look for are Xylite, D-Xylitol, Anhydroxylitol, xylitylglucoside, and 1,4-Anhydro-D-xylitol among others. The strange words can be confusing. These ingredients are used in popular items such as barbecue sauces, chewing gum, toothpaste, mouthwash, pancake mixes, pudding and ketchup. That is another reason why allowing your dog to eat table food or counter surf can be harmful.

  1. What is the 10% Rule?

While many dog owners like giving their dogs treats as a reward for good behavior, going pee, poop, or for staying out of undesired areas of the house, this is not a healthy habit. Most veterinarians agree as a rule that treats, including peanut butter should be limited to no more than 10% of their daily calories to avoid an unbalanced diet and obesity. Being that peanut butter is fat rich, it is extremely high in calories. What seems like a small amount of peanut butter can easily be double or triple the calories of an actual meal for your pet.

  1. What do I do if my dog ingests Xylitol?

If your dog ingests Xylitol, they will become ill. Some symptoms are invisible while others let you know right away that something is wrong. If you suspect your dog has eaten Xylitol, go directly to a veterinary hospital. Some symptoms might not show for 12-24 hours and your dog should be monitored.

cat & dog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *